Tokyo Tokyo Foodtrip!

We were asked by our teacher to eat in an Indian/ Japan/ Korean/ Philippine restaurant and observe the place, food and uniform of the servers. So last Thursday, my friends and I ate in a Japan restaurant named Tokyo Tokyo. We took pictures of the restaurant and food. We were also supposed to take a picture of one of the server’s uniform, but for some reason they didn’t allow us to, so we tried taking a stolen pic instead. We ordered Honey Chicken Teriyaki, Pork Tonkatsu, and Prawn and Vegetable Tempura.

Honey Chicken Teriyaki
This is my favorite among the three dishes because of its sweet taste. Teriyaki is a Japanese cooking technique. The food here is broiled/ grilled with glaze of soy sauce, mirin, and sugar. The word Teriyaki comes from the noun Teri which means shine or luster, and yaki which refers to the cooking method of boiling or grilling.

IMG_2594.JPG

Pork Tonkatsu
Another Japanese dish is the Pork Tonkatsu which consists of breaded deep-fried cutlet. Originally, this was considered a type of “yoshoko” – Japanese own version s of European cuisines invented in the 19th century. The pork version was invented at a restaurant called Rengatei located in Tokyo year 1899.

IMG_2595.JPG

Prawn and Vegetable Tempura
This is a dish of seafood or vegetables that have been breaded and deep fried. Portuguese Jesuit missionaries introduced the tempura recipe to Japan. “Tempura” – technique of dipping fish and vegetables into a batter and the frying it, came from the word “tempora”, a Latin word meaning “times”.

IMG_2593.JPG

I also like this dish especially its sauce, except for the vegetable tempura because it tasted just like any ordinary vegetable.

At first, I thought that Tokyo Tokyo was just like a fast food restaurant. Good thing we ate there and tasted different kinds of Japanese food. The place was good, it was clean. Their uniforms were red and black, same as the restaurant’s theme color. I also like the interior design because it made me feel more comfortable. These food each have a connection with Japan’s culture. I enjoyed eating lunch there and the food was great.

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

If you guys want to learn more about the foods’ origin, here are the sources I used:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teriyaki
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonkatsu
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempura#History

State Of the Nation Address 2014

Just last Monday, July 28, President Noynoy Aquino had his 5th SONA or State of the Nation Address. SONA is held yearly wherein the President shares to us the status of the country, his achievements and accomplishments as the leader, and agendas for this year and the years to come. In his latest SONA, he mentioned lots of improvements in our country. One thing that he mentioned was the Philippine’s economic achievements. The government intensified tax collection: from 1.094 trillion pesos in 2010, to 1.536 trillion in 2013. Our dept to GDP ratio was decreased and the money that was supposed to pay for the interest, went to social services. PNoy also talked about the infrastructures. He said that the budget for infrastructures was doubled. From 203.3 billion pesos last 2011 to 404.4 billion pesos this 2014.

The issues that PNoy mentioned were all interesting, but among those issues and topics, I was most interested when he was talking about TESDA. Even before SONA, I already knew that TESDA exists. I thought that this is just like any other ordinary public school, but i was wrong. Only last Monday, I was surprised when PNoy reported about how TESDA helped a lot of Filipinos. The DAP contributed 1.6 billion pesos to this Training-for-Work Scholarship Program and 223, 615 Filipinos were able to graduate. 66% or 146,731 graduates now have jobs and are now working, while the remaining 34% are now being helped by TESDA to look for a job. For me, I find TESDA very interesting because through this, a lot of people learn, graduate and can now look for a job and it’s all for free. You don’t have to pay expensive tuition fee in order for you to learn. And when every graduate student from TESDA gets a job, this will help the country to rise.

PNoy’s latest SONA was honestly agreeable, well at least for me. Even though I don’t really feel the changes happening in our country, I know that the president is really doing something to help the Philippines progress.